I could not have said it better myself…

“If you reach for a star, you might not get one.  But you won’t come up with a hand full of mud either”

— Leo Burnett

“Never be haughty to the humble.  Never be humble to the haughty.”

– Jefferson Davis

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world:  the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”

“Lack of money is the root of all evil.”

–G.B. Shaw

“The tide is high but I’m holding on.”

–Blondie

“Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.”

– Will Rogers.

“But at my back I always hear Time’s winged chariot hurrying near.”

“Gather the flowers, but spare the buds.”

Andrew Marvell

“Learn to drink coffee without sugar.”

“You’re better off missing a bus or an airplane once in a while than getting there too early all the time.”

“Don’t expect too much from the company you work for, even if it’s a good company.”

–Andy Rooney

“If you would take, you must first give.  This is the beginning of intelligence.”

– Tao Te King

“Being able to do something well is one of life’s great joys.”

– Frank Tyger

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

– Dr. Seuss

“It’s hubris to think that the way we see things is everything there is.”

Lisa Randall

“The sweaty players in the game of life always have more fun than the supercilious spectators.”

– William Feather

“We are all imbued with the love of praise.”

– Henry Fielding

“I have never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy as a cause for withdrawing from a friend.”

– Thomas Jefferson

“We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.”

– Khalil Gibran

“Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.”

Mae West

“No one agrees with other people’s opinions, they merely agree with their own opinion expressed by somebody else.”

– Sydney Tremayne

“You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do.”

– Henry Ford

“Consider the mosquito.  He sings at his work and he keeps everlastingly at it.  The only way to stop him is to kill him.”

– JT Fisher

“I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.”

“A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.”

Mark Twain

“Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.”

– Marilyn Monroe

“Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.”

– Coco Chanel

“Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.”

“If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.”

“Content makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor.”

– Ben Franklin

“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”

–Terry Pratchett

“He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

“Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I shall not put.”

Winston Churchill

“But there’s also no doubt that many people, with fewer advantages than you, have overcome them to achieve much greater things”

– Mr. Money Mustache

“One of the greatest follies of our culture is the notion that possessions depict financial progress in your life.”

– Shilpan

“Why would I want to spend all my money on ‘stuff’ when I don’t even own my own time yet?”

Dividend Mantra

“I don’t think anything is ever quite the same to us after we are dead.”

– Don Marquis

“Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn’t have the power to say yes.”

– Eleanor Roosevelt

“If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.”

Katharine Hepburn

“The purpose in life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.”

–Rainer Maria Rilke

“It ain’t too hard to get along with somebody else’s troubles.”

–Steve Goodman

“In misfortune, which friend remains a friend?”

–Euripides

“Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.”

Groucho Marx

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

–Isaac Asimov

“Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.”

– John Allen Paulos.

“Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. You’re able to benefit from the unique viewpoints of others, without being crippled by your own judgment.”

– Ralph Marston

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”

— Kurt Vonnegut

“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”

Anais Nin

“In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.”

– Shing Xiong.

“Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”

– Jack Canfield

“I am much inclined to live from my rucksack and let my trousers fray as they like.”

– Herman Hesse

“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong.”

– Emerson

“I’ve had such a wonderful life. I only wish I’d realized it sooner.”

– Colette

“Trespassers kindly remember to close the gate.”

– Sign on an Irish gate

Do you have your own favorites?  Maybe even turned a couple yourself?  Please share in the comments….

This entry was posted in business, Life, Money and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Tara C
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

My favorite is a variation of one you have above:

Good judgement comes from experience, and experirence comes from bad judgement. :-)

2. John
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Keep a cool tool, fool.

3. Posted June 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

“With great power comes great responsibility.”

-My mom, later co-opted by Spiderman

4. Posted June 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

A fool and his money……..are a fun date.

5. Posted June 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

A fool and his money…….are a fun date!

Live hard not soft; eat hard not soft; seek fiber in foods and in life.
    Helen Nearing

6. Posted June 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Fun post! Favorites: Vonnegut, Nin, Marilyn Monroe and Eleanor Roosevelt. All of their quotes are fabulous, and these are no exceptions.

7. Posted June 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the link. I am honored for the mention.

8. A
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” Oscar Wilde

9. Posted June 13, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

AFTER getting fuc*ed is the wrong time to consider consequences…

– My late grandmother

10. Posted June 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Fabulous!
    Fellow readers – thanks for your contributions as well!
    Best,
    Fritz, the New Mexico Lobo

11. A
    Posted June 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

“Money, it’s a gas, grab that cash with both hands and make a stash”

12. Posted June 14, 2012 at 12:56 am | Permalink

“Self-sufficiency means that one does not have to extort ecological fertility from the earth in order to trade with the empire for baubles.”
    – William Kötke

“It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society”
    – J. Krishnamurti

13. Posted June 17, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Ben Franklin, Terry Pratchett, Mark Twain, Mae West, and Will Rogers all in one spot. Nice collection, Jim.
    No quotes to add, just a couple of provers and sayings
    Amat Victoria Curam (Victory loves preparation) – Latin Proverb
    A tavola non s’invecchia (at the dinner table, you don’t get old) – Italian proverb
    Il vino e’ il latte dei vecchi (Wine is the milk for old people) – Italian proverb
    A fool and his head are soon parted – Klingon proverb
    Finally, one that we picked up from an Eritrean friend a long ways back. “If your friend is like honey, don’t lick him too much”, meaning, of course, don’t take advantage of your friends.

• Trisha Ray
      Posted June 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

“Wine is the milk for older people” ? I like that! Okay, I changed it slightly….

14. Posted June 17, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

“There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.” – Roger Staubach

“It takes twenty years to become an overnight success.” – Eddie Cantor

“Outside of a dog a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it is too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx

Anytime I have a chance to use this Groucho quote I do, and yours reminded me of it.

Great list.

15. Posted June 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about dancing in the rain”
    “Life’s too short to be living some one else’s dream”
    “Life is what happens when you’re too busy making plans”
    “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.” Walt Disney

and of course, my favorite: “God must love stupid people, cause he made alot of them.” – my grandmother.

16. Trisha Ray
    Posted June 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

You have many of my favorites…! This I wrote down 45 years ago:
    Also: “The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home read only a page:”
    – Augustine
    and –
    “…all life is an experiment, the more you make, the better….”

17. JTH
    Posted June 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Getting ready to retire (30 days). Corporate job. Pension and 401k. Do I take a lump sum on pension or take an annuity?

• Posted June 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Scary question. You need to provide a lot more information before anyone can give you an educated guess. I cannot help as I am in Canada and we have different social structure and tax laws, but I would suggest you start by providing your age, family size and ages, details on the amounts of pension vs. lump sum, life goals, budget…

• Posted June 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hi JTH…

Since your question really doesn’t fit with this post, and I’d like to keep the comments here focused on cool quotes, I’ve taken the liberty of answering here:

Hopefully more people who also have an interest in this question will be more likely to find it there.

Mr. Risky….

You might also want to move your comment over there too.

thanks!

18. Michele
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

“The first and great commandment is: Don’t let them scare you.” (Elmer Davis)

“To find out what one is fitted to do and to secure an opportunity to do it is the key to happiness.” (John Dewey)

“It is one of the blessings of friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

“What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience?” (Adam Smith)

“Never drive a car when you’re dead.” (Tom Waits)

19. Posted September 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

My favorite of them all!

Thanks for an amazing collection of inspiration! And thanks even more for including me. I’m truly honored!

Best wishes.

• Posted September 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

My pleasure! Yours is a great line and I’m sorry I missed it when writing this post. But reading it today, I knew it had to be included.

20. ael
    Posted January 8, 2013 at 2:55 am | Permalink

I believe the original is from Sacha Guitry and goes like this: “our wisdom comes from our experience and our experience comes from our foolishness.”

21. panhead
    Posted June 21, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I know this is an older post, but I love it so I figured I’d add a few, hopefully somebody sees them!

“Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy!’
    Ben Franklin I believe

and

“Happiness is an olive in the bottom of your martini when you are hungry”
    Johnny Carson

and my signature line in many forums:

“When you live in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does, is something close to a blessed event”

Robert Pirsig, “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”

Posted June 21, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Good to see this post getting some attention! Thanks for the contribution.

Panhead, eh? Do you own one?