Where in the world are you?

jlcollinsnh around the world

I don’t know too much about this whole blogging process.  Since starting last June, I’ve only barely figured out how to write the posts and put them up.  But measuring readership and other metrics is still mostly a mystery to me.  (I also just got an email from a reader asking for the addition of an RSS button to make subscribing easier.  I’ll have to look into that as a writer is nothing without readers.)

Since I began this for my own amusement, I haven’t much cared.  The original idea was to post some advice, investment counseling and a few stories for my daughter.  Stuff she might not be interested in just now, but maybe later.  Stuff I wanted to get down while I was thinking about it and before I forgot.

Still it is very cool to see that people are reading it and some even take the time to comment.  I hope you will, too.  It’s very motivating and helps keep me from thinking I’m just some old coot talking to himself.

The other day I stumbled on a feature that tells me where in the world my readership is located.  I found it wicked cool and thought maybe you’d like to know, too.

The vast majority of readers are from right here in the USA.  Makes sense.  So am I.

#1 market for jlcollinsnh

Second is our neighbor to the north, Canada.  Again, no surprise.

The UK is third.  English-speaking countries are the top audiences.  Makes sense.  I write in English.  Although I have noticed someone has translated the blog into Portuguese.  Very cool.  If you’ve found it in any other languages, please send me a link in the comments.

Europe in the coveted #2 spot

But in spot #4 is Germany and it is very close to the UK.

Australia is right behind.  You Aussies need to pick up the pace.  You blokes speak English, right?

Poland is next, slightly edging out France.

More readers hail from Northern Europe(Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway) than from the south (Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal).

Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Korea & Romania are all neck and neck in the mid range.  Pakistan has more readers than any of these and India has fewer.

A step or two down in numbers Malaysia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Afghanistan, Jamaica & Hungary all are within a reader or two.

All around the Indian Ocean are jlcollinsnh readers

There are readers from Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam, Burma, Thailand, Philippines and even one in Papua New Guinea.  But none from mainland China, which I find strange.

There are a couple from Tahiti.

Maybe this post helped:  http://jlcollinsnh.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/muk-finds-success-in-tahiti/

Israel has readers as does Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Egypt, The UAE and Jordan.  So this blog seems to give the Israelis and Arabs something to agree upon.

The Middle East comes together on jlcollinsnh

Syria and Yemen are missing but I guess they’ve got other things on their minds.  Oman is also missing and you Omanis have no excuse.

Iran is also absent.  Despite the tensions between our counties this is too bad, I think.  My friends who’ve lived there speak highly of the Iranian people. North Korea is also absent, but I’m not sure they have any choice.

Some key countries are missing jlcollinsnh here

In South America readers come from Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Columbia, Peru and Paraguay, in that order.  Interestedly, and maybe disturbingly, none from Ecuador or Venezuela, the only two South American countries I’ve been to.  This summer I’ll be in Peru and Bolivia.  Hope that doesn’t dissuade my Peruvian readers.

Central American and Caribbean readers are sparse

Mexico provides my only Central American readers and the only ones from the Caribbean live in The Dominican Republic and Jamaica.

Even sparser in Africa

Nakupenda Afrika. Labda wimbo hii itasaidia:

In the whole of Africa only five countries are represented: Tunisia, Uganda, South Africa, Egypt and Morocco.  Readership from Tunisia equals all of the other four combined.  One of these days I’ll have to go there and thank them.

There are still others and I apologize for not getting to them all.  While there are many countries with readers I’ve not been to, there are also a few I visited and yet from where I have no readers.  That’s right.  I’m talking to you Nepal, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Venezuela and Ecuador.  Don’t make me come back there…

I have no idea what all this means, but I found it interesting and thought you might too.  I’m delighted you all showed up.  Welcome!

What I would also find interesting is a comment from those of you around the world.  Leave a note below and let me know where you’re from, how you found this blog and why you’re here.  Oh, and pass it on to your friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Travels. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Aaron
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Japan, but I’m from the US.

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Hi Aaron and thanks for checking in!

I’ve been wondering how many of my readers in other countries are, in fact, US expats. My guess is quite a few.

2. Posted April 3, 2012 at 6:07 am | Permalink

You forgot New Mexico – yes we are a part of the U.S. but often folks out west and east don’t realize that we are part of the Union. We give up trying to convince the country that we are a State. Therefore, until everyone in America realizes this, I wish that you would give us the unique status of quasi-nationhood. In support of my argument for quasi nationhood, I would like to point out that we have our own spaceport, and developed the A Bomb!
    If you would be so kind as to recognize us lobos as our own entity, we might be able to claim #1 in jlcnh readership. In point of fact I believe that we have the most readers per capita on the jlcnh blog!We Nuevo Mexicanos demand the treasured status as the (quasi) country with the most jlcnh per capita readers. We need to be #1 in something! We have earned that right. Take note and beware, Mr. Collins.
    Que Viva La Revolucion!
    El Fritzo (no, not frito)
    Ranchos de Taos, Nuevo Mexico

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:35 am | Permalink

You have your work cut out for you Mr. Lobo. As much as I like New Mexico, and it is one of my favorite places, the love is not returned.

Here in the USA, Pittsburg and Atlanta have the greatest number of jlcollinsnh fans.

You need to get busy recruiting!

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Mr. Collins,
        You need to read more carefully – I said the most per capita.
        It is a ratio.
        Don’t you folks back East unnerstand that concept?
        Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges;;;
        El Fritzo

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Ha! I stand corrected!

Damn you desert rats and your sophisticated financial concepts…..

Now that you’ve embarrassed Mr. jlcollinsnh, on his blog no less, the least you can do is go out there and round up a few more coyotes to read it. (Trickster reference intended)

• Posted April 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Vamonos con la Revolucion, and get cracking on nullification!

3. Posted April 3, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Representing Texas over here, Dallas area specifically.
    Texas should get it’s own category since it’s bigger than most of those countries you mentioned :)

4. Dan
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Canadian checking in here; good day eh?. I’ve been enjoying your writing (particularly the recent condo saga) over the past few months and wanted to encourage you to write more tales in the future. Or maybe I just felt bad for lurking w/o commenting for so long.

Oh and for the record, I’m not an American ex-pat :)

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

glad I finally lured you out of the woodwork Dan, and thanks for the very kind words.

hope to hear more from you. Even Canadians are allowed to comment here. ;)

5. Posted April 3, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Jim,You are getting creative now. You should see Atlanta as a major traffic source for your posts. :)

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Atlanta is, along with Pittsburgh, the strongest market. Your influence, perhaps?

6. Posted April 5, 2012 at 6:03 am | Permalink

South florida – it is pretty international here so it sometimes feels like South America!

Been following the house sale posts with great interest. I may be doing the same soon

7. Posted April 5, 2012 at 7:26 am | Permalink

You’re worldwide, dude…
    Eastern Oklahoma here.

• Posted April 5, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

given the international flavor of your blog, 101C, I have to believe you are too.

That people from around the world have found jlcollinsnh is the most surprising and gratifying part of this experience.

8. Posted April 5, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

I’m always so interested in where my readers are coming from. I always assumed my readers outside of the US, Canada and the UK were expat, but maybe not.

I’m in the metro NYC area

• Posted April 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Kari….

my bet is you’re right. Expats probably are the majority. Still, I like the thought of some tribesman in Borneo occasionally making his way to an internet cafe and logging in to jlcollinsnh. ;)

9. Posted April 6, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

New Zealand here. Followed your link on James Altucher’s blog.

Condo saga very amusing, educational, and painful I can only imagine!

Just moved to comment about China. You say you’re surprised you have no readers there. Fact is, from my recent experience all common Western blogging sites are now blocked in China. That wasn’t the case a few years back, but it is now. They can’t read you, or if they do it’ll be by VPN or proxy and report as another country.

• Posted April 6, 2012 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Hi Rob…

thanks for checking in and proving non-US readers aren’t all expats. (Not that I don’t welcome you expats. I’m planning to be one myself in a couple of years….)

My daughter has traveled to New Zealand and loved it but I’ve yet to find my way there. It’s definitely on my list. Drop dead gorgeous place based on her report and the pics I’ve seen.

Good to hear you can only imagine the condo saga!

Thanks for the note on China. I didn’t know that. Every few weeks I have a long conversation with an old college pal. We (actually, he) pick a topic and discuss. China is one of the next two on the list, and now I’ve got another bit of info as I prepare….

10. Posted April 6, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

You know I’m in the US, too. :) Maybe you have the solution for world peace…just keep writing! My readership is mostly American and Canadian, too, but I also have a disproportionate amount of Russian readers, which I find odd. I’d follow their blogs back, but I have no idea what they say.

• Posted April 6, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Indeed I do, FF. You’re in one of my top two readership towns. :)

glad you checked in anyway!

11. Posted April 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I live in the US but recently spent some time in Germany and checked in here once or twice. Didn’t consider it at the time but apparently some of my neighbors there were doing the same!

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

very cool, Chemistay….

did you introduce your German neighbors to the site here?

12. Mayank
    Posted April 30, 2012 at 6:44 am | Permalink

India here. Found your blog through the DCA post at afford-anything, from your comment there. I have been reading through a lot of your posts now and find them quite informative and well written.

• Posted April 30, 2012 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Hi Mayank….

Welcome and thanks for checking in! I appreciate your kind words.

Where in India? I’ve traveled there a bit: Shrinigar, Delhi, Agra, Goa, Mumbai….

13. Trish
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Another from New Mexico.
    By way of a few other places, several of which you know yourself:
    Need I mention a bog in Connemara? A haystack in Clare? An elephant in Nepal? Fighting rabid spectacle-stealing monkeys in India? Avoiding the tow police in Chicago?
    I’m sure there are others. Cheers from the Lost State.

• Posted May 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

We have met up in quite a few places around the world over the years. Including NM. And Agra. And Goa where your acting chops kept us out of jail that night….

• Trish
        Posted May 8, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

Ah, yes. Although the hotel the police brought us to in the middle of that night certainly deserved the name we gave it, the “Wildlife Hotel”. Afraid to put my feet on the floor…
        Not sure we came out ahead on that one!

14. Neil Imrie
    Posted May 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

And a new reader from New Zealand. Thoroughly enjoy your sage advice.

• Posted May 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Welcome Neil and thanks for adding your location here. and the kind words!

one of the coolest things about doing this is touching folks from all corners of the planet.

I’ve not been to New Zealand, but the pics look drop dead gorgeous.

My daughter was there a few years back on a People-to-People trip and loved it.

15. pachipres
    Posted May 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Jim,
    I am from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada where it can go to minus 50 with the windshield. My dh are originally from Sudbury, Ontario but moved out here 23 years ago.

16. Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:56 am | Permalink

UK national living in Japan :)

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

very cool!

why and for how long?

I’ve yet to make it to Japan but would love to go.

17. Trish
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

In Istanbul. Discussing your posts with a few Australians under the Galata bridge, with the Bosporus in front of us. Epic.

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Outstanding! Wish I could be there with you.

So, were these Aussies already familiar with jlcollinsnh or did you provide the intro?

BTW, 147 readers from Australia so far today.

G’day mates!

Oh and a tip for the non-Aussies amount us:

You can’t help but sound like one when you say: “Good eye mate.”

18. Sue
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 2:32 am | Permalink

I very rarely comment on blogs but I found this interesting. Got here from your MMM’s guest post. I am from Malaysia ( might show up on your stat as Singapore though) but I must insist I am neither an expat nor a Borneo tribesmen. Just a city girl who happens to love the PF blogs:

• Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Hi Sue…

Glad you chose to comment here and hope you’ll make it a habit. City girls are always welcome and I’m a city boy by origin (Chicago) myself.

WordPress does give me separate stats. So far this week page views from:

Singapore: 155
      Malaysia: 53

Clearly you need to get busy recruiting more Malays for me! :)

19. Posted May 29, 2012 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Hi Jim, I live in Australia, though originally from the Philippines. I found your blog through your guest post in Mr. MM’s blog. I started off at Early Retirement Extreme sometime late last year. I love your writing, and also the things you talk about. I’ve always had FI on my mind from before I had my first real job in 2008, and discovering these blogs has made such a big difference in feeling that I’m not the only one who thinks the way I do, and has given me a whole new world of learning that I really enjoy. Thank you for what you do, and being willing to share of yourself in this way. I’m going through all your posts these days, and looking forward to reading each of them. :-)

• Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Hi Michelle….

Welcome and thanks for checking in! and for the very kind words. Please feel free, as you read thru the other posts, to add your thoughts as the spirit moves you.

20. Jason Braganza
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Here’s to increasing your India tally! I’m from Mumbai. Came across your blog from one of Jacob’s (ERE) fb posts…

• Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Thanks Jason!

good to have you here.

68 pages views from India so far today, fifth highest.

I’ve been to India a couple of times — Shrinigar, Goa, Delhi, Agra — but I’ve only passed thru Mumbia.

My wife is Goan, born and raised in Zanzibar.

21. Jason Braganza
    Posted May 30, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Ha! I have a Goan wife too! :P

Take New York, give it an alternately unique culture, make it twice as dense, fill in a few thousand languages & you’ll have Mumbai :)

Have just about finished your blog… (one day speed run)

I’ve learnt so much! You’re one awesome teacher! Please don’t stop writing :)

Thank you for sharing!

• Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Cool beans!

Seems Goans are spread all over the world. Where did you find her?

I came by mine in Chicago where she’d settled after fleeing the revolution in Zanzibar by way of Dar es Salaam.

The first time she took me to Goa I remember reading in the guide book: “Goans are a friendly people, happiest sitting on the beach and drinking their Feni Liquor.” :)

Glad you are enjoying the blog. You are now in charge of recruitment, Mumbai Branch!

22. Siebrie
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:16 am | Permalink

I found your blog through frugalbabe. I’m Dutch, living in Belgium, married to a guy from Mali. Pretty international!

23. Julie
    Posted June 27, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I’m a neighbor of yours (sort of) down here in the Boston area. I found your blog from your MMM guest post and am glad I did – I’m really enjoying catching up on all of your posts. Thanks for all of the great insights!

• Posted August 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Julie…

Glad you are here!

Yep, if you are in Boston we are only an hour or so apart. However, you folks in MA get to pay more taxes. :)

24. Anne
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Regards from Finland!

Your blog is great, I found it through MMM blog. There are some Finnish FI blogs, which link to some US FI blogs etc. etc.

VTSAX seems to be available for us(in Finland) as an ETF, with ticker VTI. At least I think it’s the same. Quite a coincidence that I had already chosen to start buying VTI to my portfolio. I then tried to find out what is VTSAX and why my online-bank(brokerage) does not recognize it.

I’m actually thinking of saving your investing instructions for 19-year-olds to later use for my son (currently 1 year old).

• Posted August 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Anne…..

and welcome! Finland is on my future travel list. Beautiful place by all accounts.

Yep, VTI is the ETF version on VTSAX. Perfect for those outside the USA who can’t by it as the mutual fund VTSAX. How did you choose it?

Regarding the idea of saving my investing posts for your son: That is high praise indeed! Especially as the idea behind them is/was advice for my then 19-year-old for when she was ready.

25. Njue
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 8:35 am | Permalink

hi jlcollinsnh
    found your blog while reading FI on MMM. I like what you write about and am impressed by your story about The Lion King HAKUNA MATATA it means no worry. I am from kenya where the movie was shot and working towards FI so that i do not have to worry about not having F you money.

• Posted October 9, 2012 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Karibu Njue ….

… ni vizuri kuona Kenya hapa!

Ninatumaini maoni tena.

26. chris
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Hello there! Kinda late to this party but I thought I would drop by. I am from the state of Washington via ERE and Dividend Mantra. I have really enjoyed reading thru your archives! Very well written! Thanks so much for writing them and please look us up if you are ever out in the Columbia River Gorge!

It seems like you might also blog about your world travels? Did most of this happen pre daughter or did you get to travel as a family? I would like to hear your thoughts on this topic?

• Posted January 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Welcome Chris….

Never too late and glad you checked in.

Columbia River Gorge, eh? Be careful what you offer. :) Never been but have heard it’s drop dead gorgeous. Good fly fishing, too. Something I’ve always thought would be fun.

Since the blog is about “Life-Business-Money” I include the occasional travel post, although I note those are not as popular as the financial ones.

I started traveling as soon as I could scrape together the money, as did my wife before we met. Then we traveled together for ten years before our daughter came along and then with her. Now she’s traveling mostly on her own, but with us occasionally as with this last trip to Paris and Valencia.

At the tender age of 20 she’s closing in on as many countries as I, many of which I’ve yet to visit. She’s also beat to the continent of Australia, but she’s yet to make it to South America. So I still have that one up on her.

Soon she’ll leave me in the dust with travel. As with everything else. :)

• Posted January 5, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Yes on both counts.

I too traveled when I was young but only in North America.I am itching to see the rest of the world.

The Gorge is incredible. Google Image it. Your efforts here have won you a place to crash. Nothing fancy as far as our house goes. But you are surrounded by incredible nature to experience. Best I have found. My job ain’t bad either. We have a website http://whitesalmonschools.net/ecar/

I am working towards semi-retirement where we can do more traveling. Yesterday I picked up a site on your posts on long term travel where a family with 5 kids are doing it. If they can maybe we can. We have 3 kids.

Any tips traveling with kids that you learned ?

chris

• Posted January 5, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks Chris….

…I’ll start packing now!

Cool website! are you the metalworking teacher?

Not sure I have any travel with kids tips. Seemed pretty straightforward but then we only had the one.

Traveling with her this time I was reminded of the days when she was small and couldn’t keep up. Now we’re the ones who can’t keep up with her!

• Posted January 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

That’s funny!! Yea I want to do it now also before I get old but this teaching job(Metals and Robotics) has got me a little tied up.

Its fun reading your posts and dreaming. We are heading your way this summer. My daughter has always wanted to see Pennsylvania. She says she likes the name…. We are gonna take the train out and hit family in Minn and then over to Hershey Park, maybe Niagara Falls, New York City, Gettysburg and the like. We are looking for a place to make a home base if you know anyone who wants to swap houses? Ever done that?

We are are finishing up an addition on our little place. Hope it is done by summer. Kinda messy right now.

I have a question..with all your traveling you must know Spanish. That’s something that I am going to start learning right after I finish our addition. Any tips?

Chris

• Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Glad you’re enjoying the blog.

A cross country train trip is something I’ve never done, but it’s on my list. Furtherest I’ve gone is Chicago-Cleveland, but I love trains and take them whenever I can.

We usually travel during the summers, but if you are going to be up NH way, let me know. If we’re around, coffee’s on me.

Never done the house swap thing, but it seems to work out for those who do.

Funny you mention Spanish. I took it in HS back in the day and since retiring it has been one of my projects. I’m not fluent, but I’m closer than I was two years ago. It is one of the reasons I’ve been focusing recent travels on Spanish speaking countries. I’ve always wanted to be multi-ligual and figure it’s not too late to start. Been thinking about taking a French course at the local HS this Spring. Our daughter is fluent in French and we’d like to catch up a bit.

• chris
            Posted January 8, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Yea we have done the across the country trip at least once a year. Pile the kids into the car and camp our way across stopping at a different national park each trip. Last year we went to “The” National Park….”Disneyland. Then onto Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Arches. Had lots of fun. We have also taken the train a few times to visit family back east. That’s nice cause I don’t have to drive.

Probably won’t get up as far as NH. You’ll have to come out here to buy me coffee in trade for a bedroom and tour guide.

I listened to your POD on Madfientist tonight. Very nice. Thanks for the tips.

As far as language goes…its funny you mentioned French. I took French in HS and never used it. On the other hand I should have taken Spanish. About a third of my students speak Spanish and that would have been handy. But like you said its not too late. It will be fun to use it in the future.

27. Diane
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Greetings, Mr. Collins,

I know this post is from awhile back, but thought I’d just jump in! I came to your site via Mister Money Mustache. Like MMM, I am from Colorado, and am a public school teacher (elementary reading) nearing retirement.

I’m really enjoying your posts as I also have a college-aged daughter and a second one who is a HS junior. This empty-nest business can be difficult at times!

Anyway, keep up the good work! It’s always a good day when I have an e-mail from you to look forward to… I save it up as a reward after a hard day at work!

Cheers!

Posted February 20, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Diane…

Glad you joined in. I like this post and am glad to see it still getting some attention. Thanks!

And thanks for the kind words.

As for my posts arriving in your inbox, glad it brightens your day. Tomorrow I leave for Mexico/Guatemala until April. Ordinarily the blog goes dark as to new posts when I travel. This time I have two scheduled to hit while I’m gone. Hopefully I figured it out correctly and that will happen!

Hope you enjoy them!

28. Natasha
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 3:36 am | Permalink

Hi jlcollinsnh!
    Russian reader here. Found you through MMM

Posted March 5, 2014 at 3:59 am | Permalink

Welcome Natasha!

You are the first Russian reader to check in.

Let me ask, how well do the concepts here work for you?

29. financialblogger23
    Posted March 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure I read your blog while in Kenya last week.

30. Dollarbill
    Posted August 21, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Being from the Metrowest area of Boston, I feel I’m just around the corner from you.

Posted August 22, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

just around the corner and an hour up the road!